What is a Farm Winery?
Middleburgh Winery, LLC
Middleburgh Winery, LLC is a Farm Winery.
A farm winery is“any place or premises, located on a farm in New York state, in which wine is manufactured and sold.” Middleburgh Winery chose to go with this kind of license because it offers much flexibility in the wine, beer, and distilled spirits market. As a farm winery, we can sell at retail and wholesale to any winery, farm winery, and licensed wholesalers or retailers.
- A farm winery can conduct tastings at its licensed premises (or branch offices) of its own wines without a separate permit;
- Licensees are permitted to open branches within the state without needing to apply for additional licenses (and such branches enjoy the same privileges, such as the ability to conduct tastings, as the licensed farm winery);
- Farm wineries are permitted to provide custom crush services to individuals who wish to produce wine for sale to others;
- Farm wineries can manage up to five branch stores within the state, classified as extensions of the farm winery as opposed to separate entities, which grants greater ease for farm wineries with respect to opening satellites around New York state; and
- Licensed farm wineries may direct ship wines as part of basic license privileges (some additional restrictions may apply).
Our major limitation as a farm winery in New York State is that all of our wine must be produced from New York State grapes or fruit. We don’t see this as a limitation, however, because we believe in collaborating and promoting local produce. Since Schoharie Valley is full of farms providing very local produce, we look forward to future wines incorporating some of those crops!
We are also collaborating with local breweries and distilleries to carry and promote their products. So far we have;
Barber’s Farm Distillery 1857 Potato Vodka
Green Wolf Brewing Co. Schoharie Pale Ale
Scrumpy Ewe Cider Collection
Serious Brewing Co. Running Red Coat
In addition, we have products from The Welsh Homestead and Apiary.